By Angie Lee / July 1, 2021
Outdoor Summer Ideas for Seniors
As the warmer temperatures approach, many people enjoy their free time by spending it outdoors – basking in the sun. Caregivers at Serenity Care Services can ensure that their elderly clients are enjoying the summer months too, with a bit of creativity and planning to find an outdoor activity that is suitable for each individual.
The Benefits of Being Outdoors
There are many advantages to stepping outside and soaking up the summer sunshine. Whether you’re outdoors for just a few minutes or several hours, being outdoors in the sunlight generates vitamin D. This is an extremely important nutrient that keeps our brains healthy, our bones strong, and our muscles flexible. Past studies have shown that those who spend time outdoors typically are in a better mood and have a regulated immune system. When time outdoors is limited, it can place an individual at higher risk for vitamin D insufficiencies.
Safety Tips for Seniors
When selecting a suitable outdoor activity for the elderly, it’s important to remember that seniors are more susceptible to heat related illnesses and injuries. As we age, our bodies functionality changes and as a result our bodies do not regulate temperate as effectively. Below are a few safety tips to ensure seniors are kept safe and healthy throughout the upcoming summer months.
– Stay hydrated: It is recommended to drink eight or more glasses of water each day.
– Stay indoors during extreme heat: Higher levels of humidity and heat can evaporate the moisture that is in the body and slow down bodily functions.
– Protect your skin and eyes: Wearing sunglasses has been proven to protect our eyes from the damaging UV rays. It is also highly recommended to wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect your skin against any harmful UVA radiation.
Outdoor Activities for Seniors
When searching for an activity to enjoy, Serenity Caregivers strive to select activities that are focused on a hobby or current interest. Below are several outdoor ideas for seniors to enjoy during the summer months.
– Sporting events: Attending a grandchild’s soccer game or gymnastics meet can be action packed! This is a great way to not only pass the time outdoors but to also be with loved ones.
– Take a stroll: If walking is possible, start slow and with shorter distances. Going for a walk is not only peaceful, but allows the senior to be out and about within the community. Our caregivers are available to assist during the walk or simply be that companion to take a stroll with.
– Take a dip: With the summer heat comes the urge to be in a nice cool pool. For some, they may only feel comfortable dipping their feet in the pool. For others, a low-impact water aerobics class may be the better option. Being in the pool isn’t only physically beneficial, but it also helps with keeping cool during extreme heat.
– Go out for a cold treat: Like many, seniors tend to have a favorite snack or restaurant that can perk up their mood or simply put a smile on their face. When out and about, swing by the local ice cream parlor to pick up an ice cream cone or a cold coffee from their favorite café. If the weather isn’t too warm, these treats can be enjoyed at the outdoor dining patio or on the porch of the individual’s home.
To learn more, check out the following links below.